Just north-west of the St Mary’s Abbey building is the 40m Yellow Steeple, of Trim Castle in Trim, Meath. Once the bell tower of the abbey, dating from 1368 but damaged by Cromwell’s soldiers in 1649. It takes its name from the colour of the stonework at dusk.
The tower, constructed of punched and squared lime stone, served as the abbey’s bell tower. The tower still retains the remnant of a spiral staircase, which was built without a newel. The eastern wall rises seven storeys and the southern wall reaches five, but little to nothing remains of the other sides of the formerly square tower. The eastern wall retains two clasping corner buttresses. The walls are mostly plain with a few windows and other simple decoration. The most elaborate feature is the double-pointed belfry window underneath a flower-let formed by a tracery pattern. The south wall is partly built of rubble suggesting that it was an interior wall. There are signs that a tall pointed object, such as a funerary monument, was connected to the south wall. The abbey church most likely was connected to the tower from the south
Address: Trim, Co Meath.
All Year Long
Video are allowed. Photography are allowed. No Permit required.
Check Bus Eireann timetable
No guided Tours Available
Please note that this is a very nice spot for taking photographs of Trim Castle. You may need a tripod or good luck.