The Priory was founded in the early 13th century by Simon de Rochfort, bishop of Meath, for the Fratres Cruciferi, or the Crutched Friqs. These were Augustinians who undertook the work of running hospitals and guest-houses. Their establishments were usually built along the same lines as ordinary Augustinian monasteries, but with special facilities for the caring of the sick.
The buildings date to between the 13th and 17th centuries. The nave and chancel church was built in the 13th century and had a large triple-light window in its east wall. In the 15th century a stone screen was built in front of a chancel arch and a small vaulted sacristy was added. The most prominent building today is the three storey tower-house which which was built in the 15th century, probably as a house for the Prior. Beside it are the remains of a long two storey building, which is from the 13th century. The small tower, which stands alone, a little to the south of the tower-house, originally protected the corner of a defensive enclosure built around the priory in the 15th or the 16th centuries. In 1539 the priory was dissolved, the last prior laurence Whyte, was given a pension of 10£, and the buildings were re-used as a private residence.